Monday, March 28, 2011

talkin with the ladies

Thanks to Catherine for typing and sending this to me!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

7 March 2011

Dear Anne,

"Since we have such hope, we act very boldly and not like Moses, who put a veil over his face so that the Israelites could not look intently on the cessation of what was feeling." 2 Cor 3:12-13

Seven of us from echo-charlie just went to the psychologists for our formal intake interview. Peter complains to even be here. They should go to the facility at Lake Placid in upstate New York. But the treaty transfers get the once over - "so you're fine, right?" I meet with Dr. James again and sense she's a little tired. She wears contacts today and her skin glows. I'm struck with shyness and clam up, refusing to tell her about the whatchamacallit I got. "You can just tell me that you don't feel comfortable answering. Are you getting treatment?" "No." "Then you'll need to put in a 'cop-out.'"

"Do you know how to do that?" "Yes". Am I sheepish? What did Gus say to me when I visited...Don't be bashful. That's it. I've heard of guys who after a long time in prison fall head over heals with the first female guard who speaks to them kindly. I've also heard that "the first one you date (when you get out) is a victim." Yikes.

If it were one of these interviews with a female for application to the Society of Jesus, to examine your manner with the opposite sex, I wouldn't have passed muster. Transference, how does that work again?

Anne, I've brought back two books from the well-stocked psychology library. You wrote that print about authenticity encouraging me to trust your discretion. I've selected Uncoupling: Turning points in Intimate Relationships and Coping with Anxiety: Simple Ways to Relieve, Anxiety, Fear and Worry. Next I want the one on Boundaries.

Chris

1 comment: