Monday, May 9, 2011

A Lust for Life

21 April 2011

Dear Anne,

"Simon Peter said to him, 'Master, then not only my feet, but my hands and head as well.'" Jn 13:9

In a swell after the Bible study I was elated to discover on the book cart Lust for Life, the 50th anniversary edition of Irving Stone's autobiographical novel of Vincent Van Gogh. In a blue ballpoint, the inscription inside reads:

"To Crisman -

I read this book rather incidentally right after my return home (sophomore year)...and it not only spoke to me, it screamed and cried to me...the life of Van Gogh represents a similar struggle that we share, that in many ways has brought us together. I trust you will relate strongly. You have effortlessly and beautifully reminded me what in ways this book taught me -- that there is an artist in all of us, in ME...you spark such electrical creativity in me. Thank you. And though we may not necessarily be artists of canvas, we are artists of life. I wish for you so much...mostly peace and love,
Kate"

Anne, this is exactly what I'm talking about. Who was I saying it to -- Crow? Greg? -- that I love life so much.

No, its not even the events that happen, that I experience. But Life itself. The possibilities of goodness. At a certain point "love" can't begin to express this. If love were black and contained every single shade, every color of meaning, of despair and tragic consequence, then I even love Guantanamo Bay Prison and Abu Zubayda.

Chris~

1 comment:

  1. Cris-man!
    I'm here in Pennsylvania and was telling your story yesterday to Father Dennis O'Donnell who is eager to connect with you. He's an astonishing priest from Philly, who's real passion now in his life, (begun 16 years ago), is a marvelous Honduran orphanage named Amigos de Jesus), so I've passed this and your other blog along to him
    Also, I'm nearly finished with Metaxas' Bonhoeffer:Pastor,Martyr,Prophet,Spy...'tis a tour de force well worth the read! I'm now eager to read Lust for Life too!

    David Carlson

    ReplyDelete