Monday, June 20, 2011

Ah, to be in Mass

Gn 20:13 And when God caused me to wander from my father’s house, I said to her, ‘This is the kindness you must do to me: at every place to which we come, say of me, He is my brother.’”

13 June 2011

Dear Anne,

“Singers and dancers alike say, “All my springs are in you.” Ps 87:7

What a pentecost! Tuesday I received from Rosie R. a letter saying she’d be speaking about
Dorothy Day on Sunday at Loyola’s annual Thomas Merton Society event and wouldn’t it be great if the Feds sprung me so I could attend. That started the ball rolling and with event coordinator’s help sending an invitation letter, sure enough, I made it! Fr. Jim of the Trappist Monastery of Gethsemane presided the Mass. Wow, just to hear my self in unison with so many, praying Credo. And it was overjoy when, because I sat next to Frank, a former Worker of Kansas City, when he and I both said “flesh” instead of “and the word became man.” His nuances surprised me! I like to say “She” for the holy spirit part and whadda ya know, Frank said it
too! And if I were alone no one would have corrected me, but the group prompted me to get it right—No, not “and the life of the world to come. First it’s “We look for the resurrection of the dead’ Silly and then we add “and for the life of the world to come.” But Anne, that’s not all. The
most amazing, most awe inspiring sight: Fr. Jim announced at the beginning how being that our Mass took place in a venue without kneelers, then at those Mass parts we wouldn’t kneel but rather stand or sit as we were able. Well, after this young woman had received the Eucharist, she took to her knees anyway. Only her. Yet she sat on her heels on the ground, eclipsed in prayer; she didn’t want to be seen and it seemed like she was just drawn to put herself closer to the earth somehow. Glory to God!

1 comment:

  1. what a wonderful surprise, sitting in the panel discussion with Rosalie Riegle, Tom Cornell, and Robert Ellsberg when who sneaks in the back of the auditorium and sits down beside me but CHRIS!

    couldn't believe it had been 6 months since we'd seen each other. what a gift to share mass and a little CW ad lib on the "credo."

    I was fortunate enough to meet up with Chris for visiting hours on thursday and then again this sunday for mass. we're so lucky to have him back in chicago!

    ReplyDelete