Monday, June 20, 2011

I wish

Gn 19.28 and he looked down toward Sodom and Gomorrah and toward all the land of
the Plain, and saw the smoke of the land giving up like the smoke of a furnace.

19 May 2011

Dear Anne,

“God so loved the world he gave his only begotten son for it.” Jn 3:16

Riding home to Chicago! I’m giddy with so much to share, what a day! First of all my neighboring passenger selected the above passage excusing himself saying “I only know the classic ones.” “Fine. That’s fine!” I said. Isn’t it a perfect one too? Remember how the incarnation brought such joy! Speaking of which, I’ve not even told you that Bobby’s baby was born. No, I know, I didn’t even mention the expectation! Monday night after a conversation I don’t recall now, he sighed and with last breaths before falling asleep mentioned that he couldn’t wait ‘til Friday when the baby was coming. I was like ‘What!’

Then, two days early[1] his wife went into labor. He came in yesterday with his arms raised and said, “The sun is born!” I looked out the window and back at him. The sun had just set. “Huh?” I said. “The SON is born!”

Oh, but it felt bittersweet. He flipped onto his bottom bunk bed and groaned “I shoulda been there.” And in an upright world I hope he could have. He didn’t bother to ask for a furlough back
to Alaska. Even though he knew in former times inmates could routinely get furlough permission, albeit flanked with guards, in order to attend a birth or a funeral—he didn’t ask.

Chris

[1] Bobby told me that the date was set for a C-section because in the first pregnancy his wife had not dilated past a one. They had arrived at the emergency room only to discover that her water had broke long before. “I felt some mucousy stuff in my panties, “She told the nurse. It was okay though because he planned on seeing a future birth. “I ain’t done yet!” he said.

No comments:

Post a Comment